Saturday, July 9, 2016

2016 Lamborghini Huracan LP 610-4 Spyder First Drive Review 4K

Miami is one of my favourite places on earth. The ocean. The sand. The weather. The culture. Perhaps the best way to describe this place is as a local once told me - it’s a sunny place for shady people. If you haven’t been to South Florida, you definitely need to visit. 

Of course, in Miami Vice, while the heroes drove a fake Ferrari, the villains drove Lamborghinis – and those villains were always the most interesting characters. But that television show was about thirty years ago - so let’s forget about the old stuff and enjoy Lamborghini’s latest creation, the Huracan Spyder. 

I didn’t want to put the roof up, but I figured some of you would want to see how it works, so here it is. This is the only time I touched the roof switch – and to be honest I wanted to see it actuate, too. It goes up and down in seventeen seconds - at speeds up to fifty kilometres per hour. I don’t need to say this, but the Spyder is best with the roof down.

Even with the additional 105 kilos, the Lamborghini Huracan Spyder does zero to 100 km/h in 3.4 seconds. And get this – it’ll do a top speed of 324 kilometres per hour (that’s 201 miles an hour) with the top up or down. 

Same great, precise steering – and yes, to the nay sayers, I like Lamborghini’s variable assist, variable ratio Dynamic Steering. Brakes are the standard equipment strong carbon ceramics, but since you’re driving an open car, you’ll have to get used to the chafing sounds they produce, especially at low speeds.

Torsional rigidity is up 40% over the Gallardo Spyder and to be honest I don’t feel that the chassis’ been compromised by losing the roof. Like I said, perhaps you’d notice it on the track, but this isn’t your track Lamborghini. If track work is your thing, you’ll want the LP 580-2 or one of the race cars Lamborghini makes.

The Spyder is the third Hurcan variant and there are actually now some detail changes for the 2016 model year. For example, as soon as I sit behind the wheel, I noticed the smoke silver finish of the interior switches (they used to be silver) and the addition of – get this – a cupholder – and it’s actually pretty useless. There’s also a premium sound system available, which is fitted to this car and I’d order it because I do enjoy driving while listening to some great music.

The thing is that this Spyder is the best Huracan Lamborghini makes today. It makes some great sounds, it looks crazy, its ridiculously fast and it makes you feel positively alive behind the wheel. But without a roof, well, this is the most fun, most exhilarating Huracan you can buy. 

Subscribe to get more videos :